Friday, April 22, 2011

What a week!

Blog:  What a week!
Whoa! Sooo many things to get used to and there is still so much to learn. This is going to probably be my longest post because I have been slacking but I’ve been trying to adjust to everything.  So, I started work on Monday which was really nice and so far I really like it here.  My first day was just an observation day, I watched a kindergarten class and that was fun, the stuff they do here compared to the states is so crazy. Their curriculum here is tough, and I think about kindergarteners I know back home and these kids blow them out of the water and they are learning all of this stuff in another language. Not knocking those I know back in the states—but it just opens my eyes to see how advanced academically Korea is compared to America, we really need to get it together back home J Anyways , that’s a whole other story, back to the important stuff me! Hahaha
So right now I do not have a kindergarten class, but I feel that will soon change—right now in the mornings I just prepare for my classes, and serve as a sub for the teachers that are absent. I do get to teach gym (PE) 3 days a week which is fun. The kids are super cute and so loving, and just like any 4-5-6 yr old a little crazy at times. They get 30 minutes to run around in a room, we play games like red light green light, duck duck goose,  tag and a game called fishy fishy, which they love. Basically its 30 minutes where they get to run around and get a break from the crazy work that they do. Crazy thing here compared to the states is that the students are very expressive toward one another, they hug, hold hands, give kisses on the cheek and constantly express their love for one another—gender doesn’t matter its sweet, there is a lot of love here and not really bullying, it creates a calmer work place. Also in Korea teachers can hug and tell their students they love them, hold their hands, much more touching compared to America.
I teach 3 classes in the afternoon. My first class which I have every day is an ESL class (8-10 yrs) and they are very new to English, this is their first year in English school and so their vocabulary is very low, but we as teachers have to encourage English only-they are not supposed to speak Korean in Class. If there is a big problem there are Korean supervisors/teachers aides that will help you translate if there is a problem and they talk to the parents for you as well.  Anyways, my first day teaching was great, the students liked me and they are diligent workers, but in this class one little boy was like teacher your leg fat and he kept raising his hand and saying look Alexandra teacher your leg big, you big and I mean obviously I am a bigger girl so it doesn’t hurt my feelings, especially cause generally kids have no filter so it didn’t bother me but he kept saying it over and over at this point annoying! So I finally told him no matter how many times you say that it is not going to change right? I know what I look like and it doesn’t really bother me so it shouldn’t bother you so how about we don’t talk to Alexandra teacher like that anymore it is not nice, and he said okay no more.  I’m sure it will come up again but so far so good haha.  I did have a crier on my first day in this class too, I felt horrible but I guess it was misunderstanding. He is an extremely shy boy and he thought he was in trouble but he was not he just did not understand me and I talked to my Korean supervisor and she talked to him and explained what happened and everything is cool now. But I thought oh great I made someone cry on my 1st day, I felt really bad but other teachers were telling me that it happens all the time—because they just don’t understand sometimes.
My other 2 classes are very good and more advanced. I teach another ESL class but they are about 5th and 6th grade and they work very well but they definitely can talk, and I think it’s more because they probably don’t have the chance to do so in Korean school. But as long as they are talking in English it’s okay by me, they are a funny class and one of the boys definitely kept staring at me but again it’s because I am a big girl and that is virtually non-existent here, even some teachers here are really skinny by American standards and they still call them fat or big or whatever. Anyways, my supervisor told me that this class really likes me, they think I am a nice, cool and fun teacher, hopefully they don’t get too rowdy, have to crack the whip every now and then to show them who is the boss haha. My 3rd class is probably the quietest but they have the most work so honestly they do not have a choice. They are in what is called a BC class and they learn a set curriculum whereas ESL classes do not. BC classes learn all subjects and the parents want them to work and not play, my BC class is in 4th grade and they use American textbooks, social studies, vocabulary, and grammar science and reading comprehension, they do it all but they are very smart kids.
I finally moved into my apartment and out of the Love Motel I was apparently staying at. It was nice while it lasted but moving into my apartment makes this all seem that more real. I have yet to unpack because 1. I am tired when I get home and 2. I will probably leave it like this till I can’t find anything haha. The plan is to clean and unpack on Sunday so fingers crossed…pictures soon!
So for my first week of teaching, moving in and adjusting to everything has gone pretty smoothly for the most part-It’s gone by fairly quickly and I am thankful that everything is going smoothly!  And I know that I am safe here surrounded by God’s never ending and never failing love for me!
Peace and Love J
“God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about your experiences as I am sure all who read this do too....

    you are an amazing teacher, wheter it be basketball or english or math...whatever it may be...those childrens who lives you are touching are blessed...i am sure they will also learn ALL about your 'boys in blue'....<3

    have a great time alexandra teacher...
    cant wait to hear about more teaching stories

    love, your paupau
    aka your mama

    ReplyDelete