Monday, June 6, 2011

My Busy life...

So these past few weeks I have been staying busy with work and traveling. I went to a music street festival, it was pretty cool the bars were packed with foreigners and acoustic music and cheap drinks. I got to go to a River for the weekend, BBQ, beer pong and soju drinking games with a couple coworkers and a Korean teacher and her Korean friends. It was a fun weekend and It was really beautiful. I have never been on a speedboat or tubing or anything cool like that. So I got to do that and just be out of the city and enjoying some good food and good times.

So I have seen many different things, people and places in my short amount of time here. I think that I am blessed to have been surrounded by such great and fun people. I am also pretty fortunate that I live in a city that has somewhat of a foreign population, a lot of military and teachers in the area. So when I go downtown and walk through the market not everyone is Korean (not that it’s a bad thing, but at times an overwhelming thing). I miss seeing a variety of people, all shapes, sizes and colors. Here it can be pretty repetitive, but thankfully there are 10 foreign teachers at my school alone, so that really helps break it up. Coming from LA--where everyone is so different to here can at times transmit a sort of culture shock for me.

The hardest part to get used to here is all the staring. These people stare at you like you are an alien, it’s pretty crazy. Now, if I were back home I would say something to them, but here they wouldn't understand or they would think I am the rudest person that they have ever met. I know I am tall, tan, crazy hair and not skinny--facts I will openly state, but sometimes they stare at me like "Do you know what you look like?" why yes, yes I do haha. It doesn't hurt my feelings, it’s just annoying. I have come to a point especially if they are people my age that when they stare at me I stare right back and they don't really like that, for the most part. Haha

But being here right now is honestly exactly where I am supposed to be. Yeah I miss my family and friends back home, but I know they love me and are always there for me, holding on to that thought and the faith that I have in Jesus helps me through the days or moments of doubt of myself and my decision I have made. The letters, emails, Skype phone sessions or just even little mentions on Face book—mean more to me now than ever before SO thank you friends for the moments of encouragement and love!
Peace and Love :)

"The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart."- Elizabeth Foley

ps. I finally got my alien card, so I am no longer an illegal citizen haha and I even got a phone (a pretty cool one at that!)

1 comment:

  1. You are a very busy girl...but its a good busy, right?

    I think they are staring at you due to the fact you like that "famous american singer"

    I am thankful to for the internet,g-chat and sype phone calls with you. I know I am blessed to be able to talk to you at least once every day...I am always excitied to hear of your 'newest' adventure in Korea, I am also happy to hear in your voice the independant woman this experience is teaching you...as I have said before, you trusted in your faith in God, stepped outside the box and did something not many people would do....I am extremly proud of you and even though i miss you here at home...I am glad for this experince for you..later on in your life you will look back and say "I DID IT!!"

    I love the quote you listed in this blog...it is so true....and growing you are!

    I love you and I miss you....you are in my prayers everydy and remember I am ALWAYS here for you...

    "Thank you God today, and I thank you for the blessing of my daughter Alexandra, I thank you for this experience you have given her in her life, I thank you for the friends she has made and I ask you to continue to keep her safe, be with her every step of the way, protect her from any harm while she is away from home, comfort her on those hard days away from her family and may she continue to feel your ever lasting love and protection around her. Thank you God for being the amazing God you are and for all the blessing you give to her. In you might name we pray AMEN"

    ReplyDelete